The search bar is good. It helps us find what we are looking for.
Except when its disastrous. Like in case of Instagram.
If you are someone who sees their time go by, simply track how much of your time was spent navigating the search bar on Instagram.
Don’t say it was for entertainment. The real entertainment is in getting bored. If you are getting to a place of getting bored and not going to the Instagram search bar, you are going to the search bar of your life.
That’s cracking the best code ever!
Here’s how we waste time (and where we shouldn’t):
- Checking social media for a minute and ending up wasting fifteen. Seven times a day.
- Thinking waste thoughts (no matter how much truth they hold).
- Stalking Virat and Anushka on Instagram.
- Thinking your parents did all the less-than-happening things to you, and you can’t change them now.
- Gossiping about that weakling in the group.
- Talking loudly (because it wastes energy, which in turn leaves less energy for important tasks which in turn, wastes energy).
- Watching Big Boss.
- Calling people (Bro, why do email and WhatsApp exist?)
- Listening to aunties chit chat
- Watching movies. (No matter how good a movie is, it keeps you hooked. Reading books is the rarest and the most precious gem of all. Always.)
Instagram stories shows the world what you are doing.
The only problem being: no one really gets happy on seeing the fact that you are doing great, and they aren’t!
The point then, is to have a life that others would want to draw inspiration and action from, instead of just allowing them to tap tap tap and criticise you and go away.
It’s a difficult process – to go away from what the world likes towards what they really really want.
The only easy process is eating mindlessly. Everything else takes efforts.
Sometimes, go against what you normally do.
Sometimes, smile at the person who irks you.
Sometimes, bless the person who has caused you the maximum pain.
Sometimes, just let people fly away with the credit.
Sometimes, sleep earlier than usual.
Sometimes, skip scrolling Instagram.
Sometimes, sit back and enjoy your life at home.
Sometimes, let others know their opinions matter.
Sometimes, just life be, instead of “doing” life.
Life is changing so much.
A lot of us started with Orkut, followed by Facebook. Now is the dominant Instagram, with TikTok taking over.
The power you have on your cellphone is more powerful than that a President had three decades back.
There is, however, one thing that remains constant from the day you were born till the date you leave this body.
I’ll talk about it in today’s podcast. Hope you enjoy it.
Go to your favourite influencer on Instagram and you’ll discover they reached here by ton of hard work and patience.
Even the teenagers with massive following have been doing “their thing” since their childhood, perhaps even as toddlers.
Time is a scarce resource, and people want to leverage it to get instant gratification; along with wasting it on the side.
Read the above line again.
And when you do realise the value of time and the value of building an (online or offline) asset, start dedicating the rest of your life to creating it.
Your intuition and your ability to create consistent value matter much more than the viral videos that are forgotten as easily as tiny amount of cheese is forgotten in a pizza.